Friday, February 20, 2009

Running

One of my New Years Resolutions was to become a runner this year. So far, I have been running 3 times a week. I started out only being able to run 4-5 minutes at a time. Then one day I ran 10 minutes and I was ecstatic. So I knew I could do it so I started walking for 5 minutes running for 15 then walking for a couple more minutes. Last night I decided that I have to start going farther so I ran until I felt like I couldn't any more. I ran for about 19 1/2 minutes. It felt great!
The only problem I see is that I need to be distracted while I run. I have my MP3 player going and I turn the t.v. on in the clubhouse just to have something to look at other than my reflection in the window. I am preparing to run a relay with Robert this summer and know that as I run outside I wont be able to set up all my distractions.
For any of you runners out there, what are your secrets to keeping your mind off of the fact . . . that you are running. I know I'm running, but I don't want to think about it the whole time. It makes me slow down and get tired a lot faster. The music does help, but my mind tends to wander. (that's where the t.v. come in handy)
I'm up for trying new things! If you have any secrets, please pass them along!

5 comments:

Becca said...

Congrats on the great goal Traci!!! I think that you will fall in love with running in no time.

I don't remember the last time I did not run without music. Ipod products are a part of my run just like my shoes are.

Keep the distractions as part of your run, if they help motivate you. Try to run at least once a week outside. Slowly incorporate outdoor running into your workout.

Believe it or not I still can put down 13 miles on a treadmill in one setting. I like the treadmill, and that's ok. Just remember that you have to add incline to make it "feel" like you are outside.

If the distractions keep you running, keep the distractions.

Ang said...

Sometimes, just to switch it up a bit, I'll turn off my ipod, a bit, I'll recite the Young Woman's theme so many times, or sing a hymn in my head a certain number of times, or I'll count 100 steps on my left leg, then 100 on my right. And, I listen to a book on my ipod instead of music. Musice is fun to run to, but a book helps distract me. Good job, and keep it up!!!

Ashley McKinnon said...

That's awesome. You are seriously one of the most motivated people I know. I have no advice for you because I HATE running and will only do it if I'm chasing a ball. :)

Katie said...

Trac! Congrats on your running skills. For probably the last 5 years or so I've gone through the same cycle: spring and summer I run and then when cold weather hits in late fall I quit. I tend to gain weight and eat lots of sweets in winter:) Then spring comes again and I must re-learn to work my running muscles. I have also learned that music helps. Also, where you run gives distractions--I love to run on dirt trails surrounded by beautiful scenery;or in parks. The longer you run the more your body wants it and less you need distractions. It becomes enjoyable to push yourself. When I get to that point (after maybe 2 months of consistant running) I just want to run for the freedom of it! Enjoy it.

Daisy said...

I don't have any running secrets, I HATE running- so kuddos to you!
I just noticed the other day how GREAT you are looking! I looked up in church while you were conducting, and it took me a minute to realize who you were! Conrats!